365 T-shirts - the reasoning

This blog should be sub-titled: a journal of my life in geek.

I get my geek on with things about which I am geeky: comic books, Baseball, Ultimate, science fiction, my favorite bands, books I have read and loved, and Jungian psychology to name some of the most frequently traversed subjects.

I began this project simply as a way to count my T-shirts. I own a lot of T-shirts. But how many do I have? Do I have 365? We shall find out.

When I started this blog, I thought about how each T-shirt means something to me. I bought it for a reason, after all. I set myself the task to post an entry about a new T-shirt every day as a way to simply write something every day, a warm up for writing fiction, which is my passion. Writing is like exercise. Warm ups are good for exercise. But after completing a month of blogging about T-shirts, I have learned that this blog serves as a journal; it documents my life in geek, sort of a tour of my interests in pop culture. The blog serves as a tool for self-inventory, for assessment and analysis of self and the origins of self, for stepping through the process of individuation in catalogues, lists, and ranks.

The blog also made me aware that I have some serious gaps in my T-shirt ownership, and I am in the process of collecting some new T-shirts for several of the great popular culture icons that I truly love. Stay tuned.

I was also a bit surprised that people checked out my blog and continue to check it, read it, and even comment on it. I am very appreciative of this readership. Please feel free to share your thoughts in my comments section. I will respond.

Also, please note that I have moved the original introductory text to the side bar. And now, I present to you the most recent entry of 365 T-shirts: a journal of my life in geek. Thank you for reading.
(Second Update - 1310.24. First Update - 1306.05 Originally Posted - 1304.25.)

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

T-shirt # 222: Vampires by Robert Lewis

T-shirt # 222: Vampires by Robert Lewis

BOO!

Trying to be scary this week with Halloween approaching on Thursday.

This is another shirt by Robert Lewis, who was at one time a Kalamazoo resident. I have lost track of him despite owning three T-shirts of his art work. This is his vampires shirt.


I previously featured one of Robert's shirts in T-shirt #134: Explore the Secrets of Balloon Anatomy.

Today is somewhat of a quickie as I am behind the eight ball. The AQUAMAN ENTRY: T-shirt #221 took me three days to complete. It seems like the cards were against my posting of the Aquaman entry much like Aquaman himself is a toxic Internet search and much maligned and ridiculed by the public at large. Last night, still not finished, I decided to post what I had completed and go to bed. But checking my blog while in bed, via my tablet, I discovered that I had not published the blog, only saved it. So I published from my tablet. This morning, Tuesday October 29th, I started to work on it, to finish it, but I converted it to draft as I did, which unpublished it, meaning I do not have a blog published for yesterday. I may have a couple of other gaps in my publication history because of this lateness and delay and then converting to draft. But now I know, and I will not make the same mistake in the future.

Anyway, I am still scurrying to finish today's and get ahead on the week. I am planning to feature Halloween related content all week, though Aquaman was not really part of that theme.

Today's theme is dedicated to VAMPIRES. Following are five of my favorite vampires. Not ranked. I did not put a lot of thought into this. I just went with the first five vampires of my life. There are a couple of important omissions, which may be featured in the days to come. But for now, I share five of my favorite vampires, arranged chronologically both in my life and as they popped into my head when I thought about vampires.

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.


1. BARNABAS COLLINS - JONATHAN FRID





I am a child of the 1960s-1970s, and as such, I was an avid viewer of Dark Shadows, a daily soap opera featuring an actual vampire along with ghosts and werewolves and witches and time travel that ran on ABC from 1966 to 1971.

Awesome. Jonathan Frid was the first vampire in my life. I saw his work before even Bela Lugosi's Dracula, though Lugosi's predates Frid's.

Have you not heard of this? DARK SHADOWS WIKI.

2. TOMB OF DRACULA FROM MARVEL COMICS





From 1972-1979, Marvel Comics published The Tomb of Dracula comic book, which is one of the best comics in its genre of all time and definitely one of my TOP TEN COMIC BOOKS OF ALL TIME if I were to make a list (and expect a list before the end of my T-shirt year).

The comic was originally conceived and written by Gerry Conway, but the writer that distinguished himself best with the work and made the comic such a blockbuster success and a stunning read was Marv Wolfman.

The artist for the entire run of 70 issues was Gene Colan, who is one of my favorite 1970s artists and one of my favorite comic book artists of all time.

Here's just a taste with four images, two covers. I recently bought a TOMB OF DRACULA t-shirt (and may get a second one before my year is done). This shirt would be the perfect feature for Halloween, but I am not going to be able to write the love letter to that comic and to the great Gene Colan by Thursday, so I will have to feature the shirt another time.

TOMB OF DRACULA WIKI

Even the collected black & white volumes are well worth the investment and perusal.

3. BELA LUGOSI AS DRACULA




This is a classic. 1931 epic from Universal. But I came late to the party. I did not first see this stunning film until my teenage years, long after I was an ardent Dark Shadows and Tomb of Dracula fan. But still, I give Bela the edge in Dracula portrayal over my notable omissions, Christopher Lee and Gary Oldman.

4. NOSFERATU - Werner Herzog film 1979 - played by Klaus Kinski


Once again, I saw Herzog's Nosferatu long before I saw the original film from 1922. Though the original, NOSFERATU 1922 WIKI, is frightening, I give the edge to Herzog's Nosferatu, possibly and simply because I saw it first.

It's still one of the most frightening films I have ever seen.

5. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER VAMPIRES - ANGEL AND SPIKE

Knowing that I am a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- and if you don't know that, then check out
T-shirt #170. But there's no way I make a short list of favorite vampires without Angel and Spike. And there's no choosing between them. Angel and Spike. Tie for fifth in today's list.

I will probably need to expand on why these two characters are so awesome at some point, but maybe I will save that for the next Buffy the Vampire Slayer t-shirt as I own another.

For now, these are my final images of the day.



- chris tower - 1310.29 - 16:02

No comments:

Post a Comment