365 T-shirts - the reasoning

This blog should be sub-titled: a journal of my life in geek.

I get my geek on with things about which I am geeky: comic books, Baseball, Ultimate, science fiction, my favorite bands, books I have read and loved, and Jungian psychology to name some of the most frequently traversed subjects.

I began this project simply as a way to count my T-shirts. I own a lot of T-shirts. But how many do I have? Do I have 365? We shall find out.

When I started this blog, I thought about how each T-shirt means something to me. I bought it for a reason, after all. I set myself the task to post an entry about a new T-shirt every day as a way to simply write something every day, a warm up for writing fiction, which is my passion. Writing is like exercise. Warm ups are good for exercise. But after completing a month of blogging about T-shirts, I have learned that this blog serves as a journal; it documents my life in geek, sort of a tour of my interests in pop culture. The blog serves as a tool for self-inventory, for assessment and analysis of self and the origins of self, for stepping through the process of individuation in catalogues, lists, and ranks.

The blog also made me aware that I have some serious gaps in my T-shirt ownership, and I am in the process of collecting some new T-shirts for several of the great popular culture icons that I truly love. Stay tuned.

I was also a bit surprised that people checked out my blog and continue to check it, read it, and even comment on it. I am very appreciative of this readership. Please feel free to share your thoughts in my comments section. I will respond.

Also, please note that I have moved the original introductory text to the side bar. And now, I present to you the most recent entry of 365 T-shirts: a journal of my life in geek. Thank you for reading.
(Second Update - 1310.24. First Update - 1306.05 Originally Posted - 1304.25.)

Friday, July 12, 2013

T-shirt #113: David Byrne & St. Vincent

T-shirt #113: David Byrne & St. Vincent - Michigan Theater Ann Arbor July 8, 2013

Concerts are great fun. I love going to concerts. I had been looking forward to this one for months. I debated buying a shirt. I actually wanted one of the women's cuts, which featured a better design.

Usually, though there are rare exceptions, concerts increase the enjoyment of the music by an exponential factor. However, sometimes, as my friend Erik Pye was quick to point out, the studio-recorded music becomes somewhat disappointing because it does not sound like the live music.

In this case, my enjoyment of Love This Giant by David Byrne and St. Vincent, which was already high, has increased because of the concert.

Today I present the resources for you, dear reader, to explore this great art if you wish.

Though the concert was not the best I have ever seen, it was very good. I have some great shows and so it's tough to break the top ten of my concerts. But I do encourage everyone to go see David Byrne and St. Vincent if you get the chance.

Given that the title of David Byrne and St. Vincent's album comes from Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself," and many lyrics were drawn from Whitman, which inspired me to look at the poem again, so I was tempted to dedicate myself to weekly explorations of the poem's 51 stanzas. I am not starting this today, but this idea is on one of the mind stove's burners and it's simmering.

At the concert, David Byrne dedicated "Outside of Space and Time" to the Higgs-Boson Particle.

David Byrne & St. Vincent - Outside of Space and Time 

- Live @ Orpheum in Boston



I have no good pictures from the Ann Arbor show, but Annie (St. Vincent) Kelly has dyed her hair blonde.

photos by Amanda Hatfield and Chris La Putt @ BrooklynVegan.com


Batman headphones
courtesy of Ivan Simons
GREAT LINKS!



LOVE THIS GIANT SITE

VICE ARTICLE - St. Vincent isn't interested in vacation"

BROOKLYN VEGAN REVIEW - SHOW at Williamsburg Park
- Great review!! Tons of amazing pictures. Some videos. Awesome.

LOVE THIS GIANT WIKI

ST. VINCENT WIKI

DAVID BYRNE WIKI

SET LIST FROM Ann Arbor show 1307.08

GUARDIAN INTERVIEW: "Most People Assume this is an art project"

PITCHFORK INTERVIEW



 REVIEW FOR THE CONCERT AT THE MICHIGAN THEATRE ANN ARBOR 1307.08

SET LIST FOR CONCERT AT THE MICHIGAN THEATRE ANN ARBOR 1307.08















photos by Amanda Hatfield and
Chris La Putt @ BrooklynVegan.com
MY TWO FAVORITE SONGS FROM LOVE THIS GIANT


  • "Ice Age"
  • "Outside of Space and Time"

Sneaking in as a new favorite: "I am an Ape"

Honorable mention: "Lazarus"

TOP TEN FAVORITE TALKING HEADS SONGS

  1. "This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)"
  2. "The Great Curve"
  3. "I Zimbra"
  4. "No Compassion"
  5. "Road to Nowhere"
  6. "Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)"
  7. "Life During Wartime"
  8. "Don't Worry about the Government"
  9. "Burning Down the House"
  10. "Seen and Not Seen"

David Byrne & St. Vincent - Marrow




Now, the usual weekly thing. The comic book stack. Not much to report except that some of the books I am usually caught up on have fallen into the backlog (such as Nightwing and Buffy) simply because I do not have enough time to read everything right now. And one title, Ultimates, has come back into the current fold as I read my backlog of the comic, though I am questioning why I still buy it. But the biggest news of the week is the Paul Chadwick book!! Yay!

I do want to point out the mix of DC and Marvel comics in the top 6-7 comics in the stack.

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK STACK
COMICS FOR JULY 10TH
The Walking Dead #112
Superman Unchained #2
Young Avengers #007
Justice League #22
Daredevil #028
Batman #22
The Superior Spider-Man #013
Uncanny X-Men #008
Hawkeye #012
Batgirl #22
The Fearless Defenders #6
America's Got Powers #6 of 7
Wolverine #006
Indestructible Hulk #010
Secret Avengers #006
The Ultimates #27
Great Pacific #8
Sheltered #1 (Recommended by Andrew at Fanfare)
Ten Grand #2 (as I noticed I did not have it when I bought #3)

BACKLOG
Nightwing #22
World's Finest - Huntress and Power Girl - #14
Astro City #2
Avengers Arena #012
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 9 - #23

SPECIAL PURCHASE
Harlan Ellison's 7 Against Chaos illustrated by Paul Chadwick and Ken Steacy

photos by Amanda Hatfield and Chris La Putt @ BrooklynVegan.com

My heart stopped when this song started at the concert.

"Love me until my heart stops, love me until I'm dead."

David Byrne & St. Vincent - This Must Be The Place HD Live



Maybe I have a little crush on Annie Kelly (St. Vincent)?

photos by Amanda Hatfield and Chris La Putt @ BrooklynVegan.com

- chris tower - 1307.12 - 11:03

No comments:

Post a Comment